Topped by DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER, and JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION
83 Percent of Moviegoers Will See Three or More Movies in Theaters This Summer
93 Percent Want to See Films Across Multiple Genres, Not Just Superhero Movies
In advance of CinemaCon, a study of more than 6,000 ticket-buyers conducted by Fandango, the nation’s largest movie ticketing service, has revealed that moviegoers will be making multiple trips to the cinema over the next few months. Among the findings, 83% of movie fans surveyed plan to see 3 or more films on the big screen this summer.
Conducted during the first quarter of 2022, Fandango’s second annual Moviegoing Trends & Insights Study also saw an uptick in consumer satisfaction with the moviegoing experience over the past year. Ninety-nine percent of moviegoers said they are happy with their recent cinema visits, compared to 93 percent during the prior year.
Moviegoers were asked to identify the top films they plan on seeing on the big screen this season. The fans’ top 10 most anticipated summer movies are:
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 6)
- Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8)
- Jurassic World Dominion (June 10)
- Top Gun: Maverick (May 27)
- Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 1)
- Lightyear (June 17)
- Elvis (June 24)
- Nope (July 22)
- Bullet Train (July 29)
- Downton Abbey: A New Era (May 20)
Other key takeaways of Fandango’s study include:
- 93% will see films across multiple genres in theaters (not just superhero/comic book movies).
- 93% will purchase concessions at the theater (up from 84% the prior year), with popcorn and soda ranking as the most popular items.
- 89% indicate that moviegoing is their favorite activity outside of the home (ranking higher than dining out, shopping or sporting activities).
- 85% prefer films in immersive premium formats (like IMAX and Dolby), feeling they make the moviegoing experience more enjoyable.
- 68% believe that only-in-theater movies are of a higher quality than straight-to-streaming titles.
In the study, moviegoers were asked about their top factors influencing their moviegoing decisions:
- 95% look for their favorite genres.
- 93% select films based on their trailers.
- 91% ask for recommendations from families or friends.
- 90% want to see their favorite stars on the big screen.
- 90% pick the latest installment of a favorite franchise.
- 88% search for positive ratings and reviews.
“As film fans head back to theaters, we are starting to see growing signs of recovery as we make the turn towards a great summer of movies ahead,” said Fandango VP Domestic Ticketing Melissa Heller. “Our study shows moviegoers are happier than ever to be back at the theater. With more in-theater releases on the horizon, film fans plan to see multiple movies in the cinema, enjoying all their favorite concessions throughout the summer season.”
Fandango’s moviegoer study was conducted during the first quarter of 2022 with more than 6,000 participants who all had purchased at least one movie ticket over the past 12 months. The demographic breakdown of the group was 72% ages 18-54, with 58% identifying as female, 41% male, and 1% non-binary. Sixty-one percent described themselves as Caucasian; 21% Latinx/Hispanic; 8% Black/African American; 8% Asian/Pacific Islander; and 5% other. There were a few respondents who identified with multiple ethnicities.
he/him • aapi • photographer • journalist • podcaster • geek • martial artist • foodie • social activist • gemini • gryffindor • dj • cinephile • gamer • traveler • intj