It’s officially the end of day two for CinemaCon 2013 here in Las Vegas, Nevada and what a day it was. Today, the two main events were Universal Pictures exclusive special presentation and Warner Bros. Pictures “The Big Picture” exclusive presentation. Both were magical, and my buddy Jim Lincoln will handle the W.B. presentation (which you can read here) I got the chance to write about the Universal Pictures Presentation.
There was a lot of content that was shown, so here is a quick run down:
- Jason Moore’s “Pitch Perfect 2” officially got green lit for a sequel and is expected for 2014 release date. I never saw the first one and probably won’t see the sequel, so I will pass on this one.
- Baltasar Kormakur’s “2 Guns” trailer was shown, however it was the same trailer that was released online a month or so ago.
- Denzel Washington is the freaking man and how can you go wrong with Mark Wahlberg these days? Anyways, I will probably catch this when it hit theaters.
- Next up was Robert Schwentke’s new film “R.I.P.D.” (Rest In Peace Department), which stars Nick Walker (Ryan Reynolds), a member of an elite S.W.A.T. force who gets killed in the line of duty and sent into the afterlife and is enrolled in the R.I.P.D., an organization dedicated to arresting evil souls hiding out on earth trying to escape judgment, and teams up with Roy Pulsipher (Jeff Daniels). The trailer montage was mainly the two going up against monsters on earth; however, the comical bit was their appearance. Officers of the R.I.P.D. are given (or maybe chosen?) an avatar, so that undead humans on earth won’t recognize them. Roy’s avatar (played by Marissa Miller) is this beautiful blonde woman, while Walker’s avatar is Grandpa Chen (played by James Hong) who is an old Asian man with a banana.The trailer that was shown plays heavily on the action, CGI monsters, Jeff Daniels going back to his “Big Lebowski” roots and of course, Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds. I am highly anticipating this film, mainly because I highly enjoy the comic book from Dark Horse comics and because Jeff Daniels rules.
- “Kick-Ass 2” also made an appearance at the presentation, showcasing the trailer that released a couple of weeks ago but it was an extended version, only showing a couple of extra scenes. Mainly, showing extra footage of Mother Russia (Olga Kurkulina). Overall, I am genuinely excited for this film and can’t wait to see Jim Carrey play Colonel Stars and Stripes. Also, where is all the Turk as Doctor Gravity footage!?
- “Fast & Furious 6” took center stage and had Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Sung Kang, and producer of all the “Fast & Furious” films Neal H. Moritz have a lengthy discussion about “Fast & Furious 6” and the presentation ended with Vin Diesel announcing that “Fast & Furious 7” is a go and slated for a July 11th, 2014 release date.
- After the group discussion, Universal gave us a sneak peak at a scene from”Fast & Furious 6.” Director Justin Lin really amps up the action sequences in this film (well at least for the footage that we were shown and the trailer footage). The footage was basically Dom (Vin Diesel), Brian (Paul Waler) and Roman (Tyrese Gibson) going up against a tank. That’s right, a freaking tank! Which is under control by Owen Shaw (Luke Evans) and Letty (Michelle Rodriguez). There are tons of car explosions, rocket blasts and fast paced action scenes. And the cliffhanger at the end definitively left me on the edge of my seat. Overall, I am beyond excited for “Fast & Furious 6.”
- Universal ended their show with a solid 20 minutes of “Despicable Me 2.” I am not going to lie, I have never seen the first one and didn’t know what to expect from this. The footage that screened was hilarious. Steve Carell returns as Gru and even Al Pacino joins the cast and plays a villain named El Macho, who looks like an unstoppable Mexican wrestler. Gru is joined up with AVL (Anti Villian League) agent Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig) and agrees to a mission were he must find and capture El Macho. Gru and Lucy’s partnership could spark a love story, which we will have to wait and find out. Overall, the footage was hysterical. I am definitetly going back and watching the first film.
Chuckie is blogger for fine sites such as Geek News Network and Comic Book Therapy. Burrito enthusiast would be the best way to describe him. Follow Chuckie on twitter @dweebofthedead to read just how much he loves Batman, kind of like a man-crush, but not really. Ok, really.