All-new trailer from Square Enix for Final Fantasy XVI reveals in-game combat, summons, and more with plans to release in the Summer of 2023
Square Enix has released its newest trailer for the long-awaited addition to the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy XVI. With direction from the producer of Final Fantasy XIV – Naoki Yoshida – and his team of masterful story makers, this trailer unveils a newly designed world setting for our protagonist. Along with in-game combat footage, we see an array of newly designed summons alongside the dramatic musical underscore from renowned composer, Masayoshi Soken, who also composes the music for Final Fantasy XIV.
This new trailer was revealed at today’s Sony State of Play event and gives us a clearer glimpse into the new world of Valisthea, where Final Fantasy XVI will be set. First announced for PS5 in September of last year, Yoshida confirmed that this game is now fully playable from start to finish and we can be expecting its full release in the summer of 2023.
“Hopefully with this preview, you all were able to get a better picture of what actual gameplay will entail — namely, high-octane battles featuring our protagonist Clive Rosfield wielding a full arsenal of attacks unique to the game’s many Eikons (summons),” producer Yoshida Naoki said in a PlayStation Blog post published after the State of Play. “Not to mention epic clashes between the Eikons themselves that put you right in the action.”
“The team, under the direction of Hiroshi Takai, has entered the final leg of development and is focusing on polish as they continue their march toward launch.” Yoshida added, “With the power of the PlayStation5 console behind us, we’re looking to take you on a seamless, story-driven, white-knuckle ride that will rival even the most thrilling roller-coaster. So, buckle up. The wait is almost over.”
SQUARE ENIX also unveiled information on key development staff, including veterans from FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, DEVIL MAY CRY 5, THE LAST REMNANT, and more. The talented staff includes:
- Producer – Naoki Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, DRAGON QUEST X, DRAGON QUEST: Monster Battle Road)
- Main Director – Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY V, SaGa Frontier, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Creative Director & Original Screenplay – Kazutoyo Maehiro (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, THE LAST REMNANT)
- Localization Director – Michael-Christopher Koji Fox (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY VII Dirge of Cerberus)
- Art Director – Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XII, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS)
- Combat Director – Ryota Suzuki (DEVIL MAY CRY 5, Dragon’s Dogma and MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2 (All published by CAPCOM))
- Character Design – Kazuya Takahashi (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, FINAL FANTASY XI Online, FINAL FANTASY X)
- Composer – Masayoshi Soken (FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Nanashi no Game series, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Published by Nintendo))
FINAL FANTASY XVI brings players into a world where Eikons are powerful and deadly creatures that reside within Dominants—a single man or woman who is blessed with the ability to call upon their dreaded power. The story follows Clive Rosfield, a young man dedicated to mastering the blade, who is dubbed the First Shield of Rosaria and tasked to guard his younger brother Joshua—the Dominant of the Phoenix. Unexpected events set Clive on a dark and dangerous road to revenge.
FINAL FANTASY XVI is a standalone single-player action-RPG being developed for the PlayStation5 console. This title is not yet rated.