Doctor Who season 7 starts Saturday!
Who else is pumped?!
Anyway here is our list of books that should be on your radar…..
1. Locke and Key: Grindhouse (One Shot)
– I can safely say that Locke and Key is one of my all time favorite comic book series ever, hands down. Writer Joe Hill (Stephen King’s son) and artist Gabriel Rodriguez (Beowulf) have created such a fantastic story that this is a must read for any comic fan. If you haven’t read a single issue I suggest you go pick up the first trade on Amazon for dirt cheap , it’s well worth your hard-earned cash. Anyway, Grindhouse is set in the L&K universe but it’s a one-shot/stand alone issue with a crime noir feel to it. It’s set in the summer of a Depression-era, three gangsters pull the heist of their dreams and take off for the perfect hiding spot. They end up on an isolated mansion on Lovecraft Island and I can only assume hell breaks loose. Even if you haven’t read a single issue, give this puppy a chance, it’s new reader friendly!
P.S. I wanted to also add their one-shot/stand alone issue last year called ‘Guide To The Known Keys’ was my favorite comic book of 2011.
2. Aquaman #12
– Aquaman is a badass. What more can I say? Writer Geoff Johns and artist Ivan Reis have been doing a stellar job thus far. I will be super bummed when these two disband (which in rumor-city it might be soon) around issue #16. In the meantime make sure and pick up the amazing Robot Chicken variant cover.
3. Axe Cop: President Of The World #2
– Who doesn’t wanna read a comic book written by a 8-year-old Malachai Nicolle? Then with his 31-year-old brother helping on art duties this book is a must. Plus this series got picked up by Fox Network and we will soon be able to enjoy this on TV!
4. Clive Barker’s Hellraiser #17
– The Hellraiser film series was a bust after Hellbound: Hellraiser II but the comic book series has been going strong since then. Recently Boom! Studios relaunched this series and its been great so far already wrapping up its first arc.Now it’s a brand-new story arc and a great jumping-on point for new readers. If you’re looking for something to scratch that Hellraiser itch, then this is the series for you!
5. Avenging Spider-Man #11
– Depending on the artist, I hardly ever buy issues for their covers only, but man oh man Chris Samnee (Daredevil, The Rocketeer: Cargo Of Doom) really knocked it out of the ballpark with this cover! Marvel is celebrating 50 years of Spider-Man with an anniversary story with a team-up you never thought you’d see! Spidey/Aunt May team up on an adventure of a lifetime. I have been saying this for years–Aunt May needs her own ongoing series so make this happen Marvel!
6. Detective Comics Annual #1
– The match of the century: Batman vs. The Black Mask! Unfortunately, Tony S. Daniel will only have writing duties this time and will leave the artwork to Romano Molenaar and Sandu Florea. From the preview pages I can tell this story will be a wild ride (literally).
7. Journey Into Mystery #642
– Part one of ‘Everything Burns’ story arc starts here and it’s the start of the second Aesir/Vanir war! What dreaded power has the Vanir harnessed to stand against Thor? This is a huge story crossing over between The Mighty Thor and Journey Into Mystery. Writers Matt Fraction & Kieron Gillen and legendary artist Alan Davis will handle the crossover between the series and I couldn’t be more jazzed.
8. Green Lantern Annual #1
– It’s the start of something big in the Green Lantern franchise: the rise of the Third Army. It’s the prelude to October’s big Green Lantern crossover event that will take place in all the main GL books. What does the Book of Black have in store for Hal Jordan? Will he be made the greatest black lantern ever?
9. AvX VS #5
– Angel VS. Hawkeye & Black Panther VS. Storm! I think this book is more fun than the actual main event. It’s packed with great dialogue and strange facts that we really don’t care about, but who cares if it is filled with a lot of action! Lastly, Black Panther and Storm ended their marriage recently so let’s see who wins! (my bet is on Storm….)
10. Justice League #12
– Superman is a homewrecker! I think the only reason people will be picking this up is solely for the Superman/Wonder Woman hook up (OK, not really). But villain Graves is still causing all kinds of destruction and we can expect the league to continue their battle!
Lover of Comic books, film, television, fresca and video games. Check out my blog dweebofthedead.tumblr.com to see what kind of shenanigans I got going on, or check out my twitter for up to date ramblings @dweebofthedead.